Thursday, November 20, 2008

LETTERS FROM HELLSING XXII

The next day dawned sunny and bright (an almost supernatural event in an English spring I’m told). Walter even let me go outside dressed as something other than the Michelin man’s dumpy looking little sister. Freed of my Egyptian funereal wraps I contentedly trailed along behind as he oversaw the clean up of the grounds and the preparations for the spring planting in the gardens. Not to mention the refurbishment of the obstacle course, snipers platforms, and proving grounds.

He was multitasking like crazy. Cell phones, blueprints, planning charts, bills of lading, all orbiting about him like a juggling trick. Frantic people, materials and supplies being channeled back and forth all over the estate and there stood Walter with his clipboard, calm, collected and controlling it all.

It was an awesome sight; Questions, information, problems, disputes all pouring in, answers, decisions, solutions, instructions firing out instantaneously without hesitation. He never got confused or lost track, just the occasional glance at his clipboard as he ticked an item off of his list. I was tired just watching him.

I was surrounded by people but they were all super busy under Walter’s watchful eye and did not bother themselves with more than a glance in my direction before moving on with their tasks. That was actually fine by me today. It left me free to enjoy the sunshine and the breeze and the sounds and smells of nature coming to life.

I had a clipboard as well and I’m sure that there was something I was supposed to be doing with it. Checking off some list or something but instead I was soaking in the green of the tender, new grass shoots and examining the buds on the trees for signs that they were ready to bloom. Good thing Walter did not really need an assistant because I really, really was being quite useless.

I was also relieved at being ignored because it gave me an excuse not to talk. A lot had happened and I had a lot to think about. I wasn’t sure that I was ready to discuss it all with Walter quite yet. He seemed to sense this but did not seem to mind. He was quite busy but even those brief moments of quiet calm between storms of people and problems he seemed more than content to walk along with me in companionable silence until we reached our next destination and the next wave of humanity.

After a couple of hours, we had made a complete circuit of the grounds immediately surrounding the house and had arrived back at the path near the library entrance but instead of going back inside, he waived off all comers and led me back towards the small kitchen and herb garden next to the greenhouse. I loved this garden with all its neat little rows and aromatic herbs, it was my favorite part of the grounds.

An older man was standing just outside the potting shed at the far end of the greenhouse. A Mr. Russell, who was apparently the head groundskeeper, but whom, owing to a broken hip, had not been able to accompany us on the inspection. Much to my surprise and delight Walter actually introduced us. Mr. Russell smiled shyly and removed his cap before shaking my hand.

They held a brief discussion on the progress of the spring cleaning of the grounds then Walter asked if everything was ready in the garden. Mr Russell smiled at me and nodded saying “Of course, of course.” and to just let him know if anything else was needed. A few more pleasantries and Mr. Russell shook my hand once more before replacing his cap and hobbling back into the potting shed with Walter’s invoices and charts.

I thought for sure we would go back to the house now but instead Walter began giving me a tour of the of the garden, explaining planting plans for each plot as we went along. It was quiet and peaceful in the garden and I was thoroughly enjoying the smell of the perennial herbs pinching off a leaf here and there to release their spicy scent but I was dreading the moment when Walter would finally insist on discussing my most recent session with Alucard. It wasn’t so much that I wanted to hide anything from him. It was just that I was in such a pleasant mood.

Finally we came to a small plot which had been turned but had no twine or markers in it. “What’s to be planted in here?” I asked as I mauled a sprig of rosemary I had just plucked from a neighboring bed.

Walter looked thoughtfully at the plot for a moment, then said, “I’m not certain. That depends.”

“Depends on what?” I asked intrigued by the novelty of the words ‘not certain’ coming out of Walter’s mouth.

“It depends on you Ms. Doyle.”

“On me?” I asked not comprehending.

“I thought you might want to plant it.”

“Me?”

“Yes.”

“For me?”

“Yes, well, you have been so despondent lately but you seem to enjoy our walks outside...”

“Yes, very much.”

“Well, I thought perhaps you would enjoy spending more time outside and I remembered you mentioning how much you missed digging around in your garden back home so I arranged with Mr. Russell for you to have a small plot of your own to plant.”

“Oh Walter! Mine? For me?” I squeaked, joy welling up in my heart.

He nodded “We can give you some cuttings from the other beds or we can order something from the nursery, whatever you ...”

He was probably going to say something more but at that moment, my joy spilled over unable to be contained any longer. “Oh Walter, thank you!” I cried throwing my arms around his neck in a fierce joyful hug and knocking the clipboard out from under his arm. “Oh thank you! Thank you!”

I released him and turned happily to the plot, eying it with pride of ownership, “Mine.” I thought, sinking to my knees. I plunged my hands avariciously into the bed gleefully wiggling my fingers in the dirt. “Oh Walter.” I said again scooping up big handfuls of the rich, loamy soil. “Nice.” I said.

“You mentioned that you were partial to growing herbs. There’s good drainage here, you should have no problems.”

I scooped up another handful and looked at it. It was so loamy and rich it looked almost good enough to eat. “No, it’s perfect Walter.” I turned towards him to show him the soil. “Just right. Oh, look, earthworms.” I smiled up at him.

He had recovered both his clipboard and mine and was standing patiently behind me with his hands folded behind his back. The wise old sheep dog patiently watching over his foolish sheep. “I take it you like it then.” He asked drolly watching me foodle about.

“Oh yes Walter, very much so!” I said and for the first time since I had met him I saw a smile reach his eyes. I gazed at him astounded. That smile changed everything about him. He looked so likeable, so, human. We held gazes for a moment and then it was over. He cleared his throat and suddenly there stood Walter again in all his cold, calm, butler glory.

“I am glad it pleases you Ms. Doyle but I am afraid we have to go back in now.”

“Oh, OK.” I said slightly put off by the sudden shift in mood. Still, I thought looking down at the earth in my hands, still a lovely day so far. I smiled at him again. “Thank you Walter, for letting me have this.” I thought but did not say.

“Perhaps, if the weather holds, we could come back tomorrow.”

“I would like that.”

“Very good then....” He said then waited with patient forbearance as I carefully replaced my earthworms back into my garden bed.


“Mine.” I thought to myself. “Goodnight my lovelys.” I murmured patting the soil. “See you tomorrow.”

I brushed my hands off and followed Walter back into the house. “Not a bad day at all.” I thought

No comments: